Monday, June 27, 2011

Adventures in Eyeballs

So, this may not be the coolest post ever, but it's a true story!

So, last week I hurt my eye:

IMG_2229.jpg

According to the doctor, my eyeball dried out whilst I was sleeping and my eyelid stuck to my cornea. Then I ripped some of that same cornea off when I woke up. It's pretty much as painful as it sounds and is definitely a "say eight" level situation. This has happened to me over the past 3 years every 3-4 months in alternating eyes. I'd always thought a bit of sleep was stuck under my eyelid and was scratching my eyeball. Boy, was I wrong. Last week was by far the worst ever. My usual procedure of 'take two excedrin, go back to sleep, feel better in a few hours' wasn't working. At all.

I ended up calling a friend to take me to the eye doctor. The doctor managed to get the hurt eye open, put in some numbing drops and figure out what the heck was wrong. He shined some lights in there, poked it with a Q-tip, he *painted my eyeball with some stuff* and then taped my eye shut. I went home and slept for two days straight until my follow up appointment.

At the follow up on Wednesday, the doctor said everything was healing ok, but he wanted it to stay shut another couple days. The patch came loose due to some Wednesday afternoon adventures with Michelle (the brakes in our car failed, it was kinda exciting), so I replaced the gauze + tape with a better patch:

IMG_2231.jpg

On Friday (go go Rebecca Black) I was allowed to go patchless. My left eye was still super blurry, but it felt nice to be back in the land of stereo vision again. I celebrated by making a self portrait with a nice blue sky in the background:

IMG_2252.jpg

My left eye still isn't 100% clear, and it affects my ability to get shots in focus with my camera. I hope it clears up soon. Anyway, at least I lived, got to wear a cool eye patch and had friends I could call when I was in full-on 'Ouch' mode. I have to put crazy eyedrops in every night now, but there's reason to hope that this won't happen again. (Fingers crossed)

No comments:

Post a Comment